Saturday, March 31, 2007

Strawberries!!!!!

I couldn't believe what was in our box next week! Strawberries!! And I could even sub in some more in place of more of those weird mangoes! Woo hoo! Bring on the spring!

Haas Avocado
Strawberries
Danjou Pears
Carrots
Cameo Apples
Roma Tomatoes
Russet Potatoes
Spaghetti Squash
Yellow Onions
Bananas
Strawberries
Green Chard
Red Bell Peppers
Red Butter Lettuce

I admit I was pretty disappointed that there was no spinach, in the box or to add on. We've become pretty accustomed to our steamed spinach with a dash of balsamic vinegar. SOOO good. The Farmer's Market starts in ONE WEEK! Next Saturday we have the chavurah, but it's a seder and in the afternoon, so I hope to go to the Farmer's Market in Boulder and just soak in the fresh, local produce! I have to see when the produce from our co-op becomes available too, so I can either "hold" or downgrade our box. This is such a fun time of year.

Meals:
Tofu Lettuce Wraps (Paul requested a repeat of this one!)
Pizza sauce p130 VwaV (freeze some and use some)
Sunny Southwestern Squash Pizza p104 Vive!
Garlicky Kale w/collards instead p120 VwaV
Miso-Curry Roasted Potatoes p68 Vive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I love reading your menus and your healthy eating is really inspirational. Although we try to eat pretty healthy, the boys really refuse almost all vegetables and some fruits (not Phoebe, she inhales everything with vigor, thank goodness!)and it is an ongoing battle that I don't always have the energy for. I'm wondering if you're lucky and your kids eat all of the menu dishes you prepare? If so, that's really awesome!

Ellen said...

Leslie, this is ridiculous but I can't find your email! So I'm replying here in hopes that you read it. No, the boys won't eat much of what I prepare (Mae is also a great eater.) Truth be told, I tend to feed them around 4:30ish and Paul and I eat around 7. Both boys are great 'tasters' but I can't remember the last time they tasted something they went on to eat! Oh well. They will eat all fruits and we do a lot of smoothies for treats. I've had lots of luck with steamed broccoli (trees), sugar snap peas & raw carrots. Those are about all the veggies they'll eat. But I don't think I liked any other veggies either at that age. Maybe corn. I figure as long as they continue 'licking' new foods they will eventually get braver. Hope to see you again this summer!