Saturday, September 15, 2007

Scrumptious eats

Today was rather domestic. Paul took off this morning for the mountains and a day of shooting (clay) with the chavurah guys. So the kids and I had what felt like a rather normal day. We went to TaeKwonDo at 10:15 and then home for lunch and a nap for grumpy Mae. The boys played with the neighbors for hours, until Ted came home crying because he'd been stabbed in the eye with a sword. I spent the time shredding zucchini, freezing said zucchini, and baking zucchini bread for Ted's snack on Monday. I was also very inspired to create a pizza sauce for our Ninja Turtle pizza night tonight, so I scoured the internet. My recipe is based on this one, but I'm much too lazy to take the skins off tomatoes and I didn't have any fresh basil. It was SO INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS. I may buy out the tomatoes at market and do this again to freeze. It was, literally, a taste of summer. I did our standard pizza crust in the bread maker and topped it with shredded cheese, sliced olives, and green pepper from the CSA. I also made another one with just cheese for the kids. They loved it and had 3 slices each. In the past I've always used soy cheese and I think I'll just give it up and keep pizza to a monthly treat, thus making me feel OK about giving cheese to Ted. It was so yummy. Here is my version:

Heat olive oil and add 8 cloves of finely chopped garlic. Heat but don't brown. Add 1/2 TBSP cayenne pepper powder, then add 1 small bucket of cherry tomatoes, halved. Add salt and 1 tsp dried basil. Cook 15 minutes or until tomatoes are liquefied. SO good. More Eat Local Challenge ramblings here.

No comments: