Saturday, December 27, 2008

Much Ado About Crockpots

I've been using my crockpot almost every day for the past month. Always for breakfast (funny how oatmeal always comes out... fancier breakfasts have flopped), and often for dinner too (chili, soup etc.). So you can imagine, can't you? my incredible excitement at finding A Year of Crockpotting. It's a little sad, because she's on Day 362, but it's also pretty awesome to have 362 days of posts to drool over. She makes everything in the crockpot! French Toast, ready in the morning, awesome dips, fondues, standard meals, and even brownies! Basically, she's shown that most anything can be done in the crock. Rockin'.
Needless to say, I've been burning the midnight oil catching up on all 362 days! I hope that when the year is up, she continues to add to her blog. What a treasure for so many people! Plus, her sense of humor is fantastic. 
Tomorrow I plan to head down to the "cellar" and see what all we have down there. It's time to start planning the meals to use up all those goodies. Squash, carrots, beets, potatoes, turnip and beans...now to munch them up! Not to mention the copious greens I froze, ready to add deliciousness to our soups and such. Mmm... It's going to be a tasty winter. 
I have 2 crockpots, both from the Salvation Army. They are both "new" to me. It's a funny story. I had my own (used it all the time in Chicago) but after finding one with a removable, dishwashable crock, I donated it. Then, the cord exploded one day! So, I returned to choose another one. There weren't any with removable inserts, but for $2, I figured I could make do. Then, a few weeks later, after realizing that I was using my crockpot every day and sometimes twice a day, I picked up a smaller one (perfect oatmeal size). So, I had two and now I have two again. Both old, 80s models. Only High, Low and Off. But they work and I love them. Someday, maybe I'll get this fancy one. 

No comments: