Monday, August 28, 2006

Blisters & Stitches & Bestemor, oh my!

Today was a big day. It was Ted and Sam's first official day of preschool and they were pretty excited. They also have Music Enrichment class after school, so they have a long day, til 3pm! Today was also Mae's first day with Bestemor (Norwegian for Grandmother). Mae and Henry are already familiar with each other and we've had 2 visits in the past week where I stayed and she played happily there. Karin insisted I say good-bye, and Mae didn't even seem to mind. I returned an hour and a half later (we will work up to 3 hours eventually) and they were coming back from their walk. Mae saw Ole first and then me, and then came the screaming. Karin just laughed at her because she had been completely happy all morning. She gave me a wonderful hug and stopped crying the minute I held her. And the smiles! What beautiful happy smiles she gave us both. We went back to Karin's for lunch and then I brought her home for her nap. I got a lovely run and coffee in, just like old times! I hope this will work out well for everyone.

While driving home I learned that Sam had a head injury. He was vrooming a car and slammed his forehead into the wall and split it open a little. After some blood and ice, he seemed fine and wanted to go back to class. A pediatrician mom checked him out at 1pm and said he probably will need a few stitches, but that you have a 24-hour window to get them in. Susie asked him if he wanted to go to music and he said Yes! so I will get him at 3 and we have an appointment for 3:30 for stitches. Poor baby! And on the first day of school too!

*Update* No stitches required! Just a good clean-up and some steri-strips*. Whew!!

Oh, and Mae's hives are actually blisters, just like on her hand. Tara told me that antibiotics take up to 10 days to leave the system, so they should fade in the next few days. We are pretty certain it was a reaction to the Z-pak. Crazy!

What a day.

* Steri-Strips™ (which look like tape strips) are placed across the wound to hold the skin edges together.

3 comments:

5-4now said...

Poor Sam! Hope he has a better 2nd day! :)

Beth and Shayna said...

I am so glad Mae had a good time with her Bestemor. Those hugs and kisses afterwards are like none other.

I hope Sam has a better day.

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment!!
Extra kisses for Sam!
Ayi Su-Su