Sunday, November 12, 2006

Who knew?

Today while chatting with another mom friend, I found out that her daugher has sensory issues similar to Ted's. She mentioned that making sure R gets enough protein seemed to help her behavior. On a low-protein day, her behavoir is very wild. Interesting! So I decided to see just what Ted requires and what he is getting. It turns out he is getting MORE protein than he needs just from breakfast and lunch! So I guess we're good there. Still, interesting. I didn't list the foods that don't contain protein (like all the fruit!) and didn't bother listing his dinner, since that changes daily.

Ted’s protein-needs 20g/day (he weighs 40#)

2 Eggo waffles-5g
8oz 2% milk-8
2 tbsp soy butter -11g
2 slices bread-7g
8oz 2% milk-8

TOTAL: 39g

For any of you who don't know, our family is vegetarian. I get lots of flack about protein...and thank you very much, I make sure we all get enough. I didn't realize, however, my favorite comfort meal is surprisingly protein-rich! Woo hoo! Roasted potatoes and broccoli with melted cheddar on top. Nutritional punch? 11 g protein. Wow! Yum.

*1 gram of protein per kilo (0.45 grams of protein per pound that we weigh) is the RDA recommendation, btw.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting! . I have always been a fan of protein because of its importance in 'growing' brain tissue at the second trimester of pregnancy, at 3 months and during year 3, but never thought of it in these terms. . Do you know if all protein is alike, in nutritional terms? Meat = egg = milk = soy = cheese, etc.? . I have no idea. . So interesting. . Glad to know that Ted and all the family are high in protein intake. . Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Just reading through the blog--will write a newsy email soon...will Ted eat eggs? They are supposed to be a "complete" or "perfect" protein. It may be that Ted is missing out on certain amino acids that aren't available in the breakfast and lunch foods he is eating. I'm not as diligent about these things, but I do have eggs for breakfast after my church job on Sundays, and I always feel like it is a bit of a "pick-me-up." Your veggie friend who misses you a bunch! Mindy

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how much protein we actually get in our diets. That fact amazed me when I was taking my nutrition class. Thanks for sharing that with us all!!!

Susan