Sunday, December 3, 2006

the Playroom issue

It is safe to say that most of my friends here in Boulder are a bit older, often resulting in parents who started their families a bit later, had two incomes for a bit longer, and have beautiful homes now. I love our little house. I just wish it was a little larger. Anyway. I have started noticing that we are in the minority when it comes to the Playroom idea. I don't really believe in a playroom. Usually that equals the ice-cold basement or a boring beige room off of the front entrance. All the toys are there and it's a disaster...how can a child even play in a room that is littered with toys? We have our fair share of toys, I'm not trying to insinuate anything less, but the toys are out, in plain view. In the front room, besides our piano, futon-couch and rocking chair, is the train-turned-Legos table, as well as a small table with Ted's Playmobile toys (i.e. choking hazard small parts). In our family room we finally got rid of the plastic house (hooray!) but we have Mae's little kitchen, a bookcase filled with books and baskets of instruments and a mini trampoline. Plus the couch and recliner. It's their house too, right? I'm sure that when (if?) we finish the basment, it will become a place where the kids can 'go play.' At this point, Mae is too young to go down the stairs alone anyway, and she wants to be where they are all the time. I don't want to spend my time in the cold basement so why should they? Anyway, I feel grumpy about it. Perhaps I just have house envy.

4 comments:

Beth and Shayna said...

Shayna loves playing at Mae's house. She has way more toys than Shayna and it is more fun. Do not worry, I will nomiate your house for a re-do on one of those shows from TLC and they can create a playroom for the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

I have house envy too. You're not alone. Not even our bedroom is safe from their toys - nothing like rollin over in the middle of the night onto a hotwheel ;) I would love for just ONE room of the house to be "mine". My santuary. perhaps when they get older? T

Anonymous said...

Our house is kid friendly except for certain rooms I like to keep as MINE if ya know what I mean. I would like to be to see/hear the little ones when they are so young. You got it right for now; it will all change later!
Susan

Anonymous said...

I have been lurking for a while now, we came home with our daughter from China in Feb 06 and we also live in a "cozy" house without a proper playroom. There is a part of me that wants one so I can keep the toys in one place, but I am told that toys "don't know where they belong" playroom or not so I guess I should feel better. Our daughter's toys and books (lots of books) are in three main area, though no room is really Meg free. I have a wicker toy chest in the living room with a reading area that she loves, a secondary play area in the dining room and her bedroom has the play kitchen. The fridge makes for a great book shelf and the dishwasher, oven, and cabinets is where she likes to stuff her stuffed animals (no pun intended)...so I guess it's alright if we don't have a playroom since the kid seems to find a way to have fun and still manage to store stuff away for mama.
Christina