Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Menus! *Update*

Feel free to skip this post if food bores you! Since we get our first delivery tomorrow from Door to Door Organics, I made sure to plan an easy menu for the week that would use up all those veggies. Fruit never stays long in this house with Ted around! All of these recipes are really easy to prepare and 2 of them are CrockPot ones to boot. I made our first challah in years in my bread machine last week and it was pretty good! I'm going to bake a loaf or two this week to go with all the soups on the menu. Here's our week-sounds pretty darn yummy to me.
  • Massur Dal & Carrot Soup (VLB)
  • White Bean Soup w/ Winter Greens (Farmers Market)
  • Spaghetti Squash w/ Tomato Sauce & (not)MeatBalls
  • Sweet Potato Barley Risotto (Veg Slow Cooker)
  • Sweet Potatoes & Carrots w/ Chickpea Topping (Veg Slow Cooker)
  • BLT's & Creamy Sweet Potatoes (VLB) for leftovers, lunches etc.
*Update*
  • The Massur Dal & Carrot Soup was AWESOME. This was our 2nd time having it in 2 weeks; it is that delicious; and it's easy to fix. 5 stars.
  • The White Bean Soup was good, but I wanted more greens and it was a bit dull for my tastes. Comforting, but not amazing. 2 stars.
  • Spaghetti Squash is always a fun alternative to pasta. I served it with vegetarian meatballs and a simple tomato sauce, with a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast on top for a cheesy flavor. A standard winter dish. 3 stars.
  • The Sweet Potato Barley Risotto was GOOD! It had a very Thanksgiving feel to it, like stuffing somehow. Delicious. It even got overcooked and was still good, if a bit dry. Yum. 4 stars.
  • The Sweet Potatoes & Carrots w/ Chickpea Topping also was Thanksgiving-ish. The addition of brown sugar and pineapples gave it a yummy, dessert-y flavor. We both loved it and I'll add it to my T-day and seder menus for sure. 5 stars.
  • BLT's-yum. More of a summer lunch but still good. The tomatoes aren't that amazing so I'm not sure why they're included in the box. We didn't have any leftover sweet potatoes to try the Creamy recipe.
  • Extra! I didn't end up doing any spinach salads, so used it up with this recipe...mmm. Too much onion for me so next time I will half the onion. I used golden raisins. I love this recipe. 5 stars.

No comments: