Thursday, July 26, 2007

moving on...

Wow, I received a lot of sympathetic responses to yesterday's post...thanks, everyone! Today we only had swimming on our agenda, and I STILL managed to forget something...my suit in this case! Luckily Judy had a spare and I did class with Mae. Mae had a great class today-hardly any crying and very good swim-float-swimming. Hooray! Sam was a nut, as usual, and Ted's class was tough today! Most of their laps were the long way so he was REALLY tired at the end.

I took Ted with me to pick up our CSA share and we were there over an hour, while Ted played with the farmers' boys in the fields. He was very excited to see the corn and zucchini. The recipe below is AWESOME. Even Mae enjoyed the beets and greens. I love garlic, so I was pretty excited to squoosh an entire head of it into the skillet! This is my new favorite way to prepare beets...Mmmm! This week's produce includes kale, more beets, garlic, green onions, zucchini, potatoes and basil. We also had green tomatoes in our Fruit Box this week...purposely green, so they are ready to eat. I'm planning to try Fried Green Tomatoes as well as our favorite sauteed tomatoes and basil over pasta. I hope to roast some garlic to spread on bread too...Mmm. I'm really excited about our produce at this point in the year. June was HARD..too much lettuce and too many potatoes!...but I am LOVING summer!

Sauteed Beet Tops Recipe #65936
The first ones of summer, patiently waited for, these are soooo delicious!!!
2 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb baby beets with tops, attached
1 medium walla walla onion, rough chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons oyster sauce (I used Soy Sauce)
2-3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar

1. Wash beet tops well and shake excess water off.
2. Cut the baby beets off the stems and slice the bigger ones in half.
3. Cut the stems off the leaves and discard.
4. In a large non stick frypan, over high heat, add the olive oil, onions and baby beet pieces.
5. Saute til onions are just beginning to soften.
6. Add the beet leaves, whole.
7. Reduce heat to medium and add the smashed garlic, salt and pepper.
8. Turn everything over several times to mix well, while cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Add oyster sauce and balsamic vinegar, turn over several times, cover and cook another 5 minutes.
10. Drain slightly/loosely, do not press, serve hot, immediately.

© 2007 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

No comments: