Thursday, August 2, 2007

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this book. From the description at bordersbooks.com:

Hang on for the ride: With characteristic poetry and pluck, Barbara Kingsolver and her family sweep readers along on their journey away from the industrial-food pipeline to a rural life in which they vow to buy only food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Their good-humored search yields surprising discoveries about turkey sex life and overly zealous zucchini plants, en route to a food culture that's better for the neighborhood and also better on the table. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle makes a passionate case for putting the kitchen back at the center of family life and diversified farms at the center of the American diet.

"This is the story of a year in which we made every attempt to feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew . . . and of how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air."


So, so up my alley. Tonight we had another Kindergarten playdate. Ted, Aiden, Max and Tanish took off on their own again, this time climbing a lot of trees, besides the standard Power Rangers play. They are such good buddies already. Ted was really excited to go this time. We have another one on Monday morning (at the school) which may attract a different crowd. I get the sense that these evening ones are mostly attended by working parents, so we may see a different set on Monday. The boys are both on a waitlist for a Boulder Rec Center camp that is putting on Peter Pan. How cute?!?! They are #s 3 and 4 on the list, so I'm not holding my breath. I may put Ted in the Y camp, right down the road at Superior Elementary, on the other days. This morning the boys were fighting by 8:30am. Tuesday was even worse. I think everyone is ready for some structure. I love summer and I love the pool and the heat, but I don't love the squabbling!!
After the playdate, we went to pick up our CSA share and like last week, Ted wanted to play with his 'farm friends,' as he calls them. We were there for almost 2 hours while the boys played in the dirt, romped through the fields and generally had some good 'ole fun. WOW was he dirty though! He and his buddies also ate 3-4 carrots (not peeled nor even washed!) and 2 cucumbers, right out of the ground. I LOVE this CSA. I don't love all the zucchini though...lordy, I have a lot of zucchini. Any takers?

No comments: