Thursday, August 9, 2007

still excited

Today at the CSA pickup we chatted about the book and the concepts. She assures me that there will be two varieties of black beans in the Winter "Keeper" share. Tonight I went to the Boulder Farmer's Market website and found lots of good info about the same topics. Listen to this:

After you've learned how to eat a seasonal diet, you are encouraged to find out why it's important to buy locally grown produce. Only about 10% of the fossil fuel energy used in the world's food system is used in production; the other 90% goes into packaging, transportation, and marketing.

Amazing. I mean, really, 90%?!? What are we DOING?!

Today while picking up vanilla beans (yes, I figured if we make our own soy milk why not made the vanilla syrup we add to it as well?) I found that Cyd's Nest Fresh Eggs are both cage free and local. It's been a real PITA trying to score farm fresh eggs from the three places near here. Of course, just today, one of the farms had eggs available. Grrr! I've done that triangle route so many times with nothing to show for it and we hadn't had eggs in weeks. So, I'll still try them, but at least I know I can pick up a dozen happy chicken eggs at Wild Oats when we need 'em!

I also came across the website for Buy Fresh, Buy Local, which has a great search engine that lets you find local farmers or products. I think I'm pretty much covered with the CSA, the seasonal Farmer's Market and some planning for winter. I think I can do this. How fun.

No comments: