Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Local goings-on

It's been busy around here, but still with an effort towards local eating! Tuesday night my moms group met at The Kitchen Upstairs for a *95%* local meal. The Kitchen is well-known for using local merchants for almost all of their ingredients, so I was excited to try to eat an almost completely local meal. For starters, we shared roasted beets from Cure Organic Farm. Dinner was a warming, mellow stew of roasted root veggies, squash and bread, all from local farms and merchants. I even ordered a local beer (no local wines which surprised me since I know there are local wine merchants.) Louise and I split a New Belgium "La Folie" which came in a champagne bottle and tasted very similar to apple cider but not. It's hard to describe. I probably won't order it again, but it was fun to try. For dessert, we had Sticky Toffee Pudding. I applaud them for their commitment to local farmers. I wish it was this easy to know where your food comes from at other restaurants. Yum.

No comments: