Saturday, November 24, 2007

No Knead Bread

I have to talk a little more about the No Knead Bread, which was a star at our T-day meal. I found it at steamykitchen, although apparently it's been around a while. I used 3 cups white flour for T-day (Erin is a die-hard white bread gal) so for tonight's loaf I tried 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups white. I was worried about it...it seemed too floury and not wet or bubbly enough...but it came out fabulous. Delicious. I am SO happy to have found this simple, tasty recipe. Our soup tonight was Mellow Lentil Sniffle Soup (EDBV) and it was a perfect soup for a cold evening. It used local onion, garlic and carrots and made a TON, so some is in the deep freeze right now. Back to the bread - it comes out round, since the shape of the bowl it rises in is round and rather high. Some people have tried dividing the loaf into 2 smaller bowls, and then carving them out a la bread bowl. I might have to give that a try too. Yum!

1 comment:

SteamyKitchen said...

I'm glad you liked the bread! You can also try sprinkling some flax seed all around the outside of the bread (while you are shaping the dough) - to add a little more nutrition.