Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Yes, please

We don't celebrate Christmas, but if anyone still needs to get me a present, look no further! Here it is!

So, in other news, I am again grateful for my freezer. We had a delicious (local) pumpkin soup tonight that I had prepared while my dad was in town. I toasted some of our homemade bread to dip, and it was warm and yummy. I REALLY love my freezer. Tomorrow, I need to go through it and see what all is in there. LOADS of beans and a bunch of soups, but I'm not sure what else. Should be fun.

Today was our last Keeper Share of the season. We received some really cool things, besides the standard plethora of squash, potatoes, onions, beets, turnips and garlic (mmm, garlic.) The beans are fantastic!

• Yellow Indian Woman Bean, a bean brought to Montana by Swedish families and later adopted by the Native Americans of the area. Listed on Slow Food USA’s Ark of Taste.
• Cherokee Bean, (this one is interesting), there are two Cherokee beans that are publicly available. One is Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean (shiny black beans), the other is Cherokee Wax Bean (plump purple/red beans). These two varieties appeared in ONE of our crops. Somewhere along the line they got mixed.

How cool is that? So, combined with the gorgeous Hopi purple beans from last time, 4 new varieties of bean. I love beans. We also get to try Tulsi (Holy Basil) tea and dried cayenne peppers. Cool.

And, a new development! I still have to talk to Paul about this, but it's so totally what we are striving for that I think he will share in my excitement.

A new CSA Share option - the Dream Share.
Dream Share is a 3-year sign-up that will include all CSA Shares we offer. That means a Summer Share, Keeper Share, and Fruit Share (arranged through mountain fruit growers). Dream Share is labeled as such because it helps us to realize a dream… a commitment to teaching, demonstrating and sharing the how to and harvest of local agriculture in Boulder County (we are actually under contract)!

Lots to think about and plan for. I am looking forward to the next 2.5 weeks. I think there will be a lotta cookin' going on!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Ok, I want the blog scooter too. Especially the extra-souped up version with *all* the features, (hee hee).