Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Deep Freeze RoundUp

Today was the day to go through the deep freeze and see just what was in there. I was pleasantly surprised and more inspired than ever to keep it well stocked through the winter. One of the exciting things about looking ahead to next year is planning better ways to utilize the fresh produce. I had completely forgotten about blanching greens so I am completely lacking in them. Next year!! I also plan to try canning next year, just the hot water bath method, in an attempt to create a fruity maple syrup and apple butters that my kids will eat. They haven't liked the local ones at all, although I think they're superb! But this way, I can tweak and add more (sugar probably!) of what they prefer.

The "root cellar" is bursting at the seams. Baskets of squash, potatoes, turnips, beets, carrots, onions and garlic threaten to take over the cool, dark corner of my frigid basement. I've said it before but I'll say it again ... this is the first winter I've been looking forward to. I know it will be cold and miserable (sometimes, this is Colorado after all) but cold weather invites me into my cozy kitchen. Before, baking was all I enjoyed. I'm sure my waistline is grateful that I now enjoy preparing soups and stews, casseroles and crockpot meals, breads and sauces ...

*Feel free to stop reading now, but I feel the NEED to list the contents - bullets make me feel efficient!*
  • (6) 2c black beans
  • (4) 2c CSA Hopi black beans
  • (1) 2c chickpeas (hooray! Just in time to bring in the Yellow Indian Woman Beans which are chickpea-esque!)
  • (1) 2c basil pesto
  • (4) 2c shredded zucchini (mmm...zucchini bread...)
  • (1) freezer bag of sliced local peaches
  • (2) 6c broccoli
  • (2) 6c peas
  • (2) 4c spinach
  • (2) black bean loaf
  • Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
  • Carrot Soup
  • Punk Rock ChickPea Gravy
  • Sloppy Lentil Stew
  • Chickpea Turnip Stew
  • Lentil Squash Pot Pie (from T-day...half the huge pan...I think we'll break that out for Xmas dinner...mmm.)
I am so grateful to be in an area where the Local Movement is so alive. It is inspiring and exciting. And, most of all, it has given me the push to learn to ENJOY what I used to dread ... feeding my family delicious, home-cooked meals. Hooray!

No comments: