Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bye bye, cute dishes

Today I went through the cupboards, chucking the cute kiddie plastic dinnerware. No more plates, bowls, sippy cups or utensils made of plastic. Mae was momentarily furious but a brownie soothed the tide. I'm sad to see the cuteness gone, but I admit, I am LOVING the spaciousness of my cupboards! The boys, as usual, are completely on-board. Ted wondered if all the plastic bottles gave him his asthma. A possible connection. Here's why I went AWOL on the dishes:

Bisphenol A is used to make hard, glasslike plastic containers for food and drink, such as clear Nalgene bottles and toddler sip cups. It also can be used to line tin food and drink cans.
Avoid using plastic food containers marked on the bottom with the recycling label No. 7; they may contain bisphenol A. Not all No. 7 products contain the chemical, but this is a reasonable guideline for a category of plastics to avoid, especially for children's use. Plastics with the recycling labels No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 do not contain bisphenol A.

To be super-safe:

Use glass baby bottles and dishes.
Don't microwave food in plastic containers.
Toss out old, scratched plastic dishes and containers.
Don't wash plastic dishes in the dishwasher or using strong detergents, which can speed up wear and tear.
Avoid canned food and drinks.
Avoid using plastic wraps. Some contain bisphenol A, though certain brands, such as Saran, don't.

Source: Environmental Working Group

2 comments:

Green Bean said...

I've weaned us off of most of this but a few of the plastic dishes remain. Off to the cupboards I go!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for the link to an article I read last week for about an hour now but I can't find it.

It was about #7 plastics and that some of those 7's are actually vegetable-based!

The other point of the article is that #7 couple with "PC" is the dangerous variety, since the PC stands for polycarbonate, the evil one.

This article from Plenty Mag isn't quite the one I was looking for, but it does have some of the same information.