Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 1 of eating raw

I learned an important lesson today. Don't eat (a significant amount of) fat in meals next to each other. The result is lethargy and feeling too full. After pudding dinner last night (2 avacodos, 2 bananas and carob powder), I felt satisfied all night, not needing to nibble at all. In the morning I didn't feel hungry, but I was excited to try the Scramble. It was really really good. Seriously. Yum. But...it was also pretty heavy with all the nuts and seeds. I had a slow, slogging run, came home, showered, and took a nap. I couldn't understand why I felt so heavy until re-reading some tips from other raw foodies. A #1 tip is to have the main fat meal for lunch or dinner and to make sure to eat lightly around it. (there can be up to 30g of fat in one avacado, and a 1/2 cup of almonds contains 20!) So, the avocado for dinner and nuts & seeds for breakfast was too much too close together. I also was short on sugar, so I had a banana and felt better. I ate lightly the rest of the day (a smoothie around 1:30, another banana and some carrots about 5 and a sprouted corn tortilla with an avocado at 7.) A good day. I was certainly NOT hungry at all all day long and after my initial inertia, I had lots of energy today. Tomorrow I'm going to try her Coconut Breakfast Cakes with bananas and have my nut fix later in the day. So far, so good!

No comments: