Friday, January 23, 2009

shredding

In gluten free news, we are getting the hang of it. While we gradually eat up all the gluten in the house, I'm doing the best I can to keep Ted GF as much as possible. His lunches are the most challenging, but also the best meal of the day, because I can take the time to make sure they are healthy. Today, he got 2 cinnamon rice cakes with peanut butter, a banana, a gigantic carrot, half an orange bell pepper, and some GF cereal for dessert. Snack (at school) was 1/4 cup roasted almonds and an apple. Breakfasts are pretty simple so far, GF pancakes reheated or GF cereal, always with Green Machine juice and a fruit. Dinners end up being a mish-mash of lunch leftovers and vitamins/supplements. He is still going strong as the healthiest member of the family. Save a brief flu and some pinkeye, he's been healthy since August. Amazing. 

So far, thanks to rice cakes, we are surviving without bread for sandwiches. GF rolls work with soup or stew, and the breads I've baked or bought taste pretty lousy on their own but are OK as toast. I've yet to master challah. I tried the pull apart version tonight and it was pretty awful. Next week I'll try L's recipe. I've also tried a few cookie recipes; none of them are good. It seems to me that the GF recipes rely heavily on dairy and eggs; without them, the results are crumbly and rather tasteless. I found this great resource here that reviews lots of products, plus Pam Vagnieres has classes that showcase homemade foods. I'll be looking into those soon. 

We have a big weekend coming up. Tomorrow Ted has Trek (I'll be hanging in the lodge this week...still getting my strength back after 3 days of the sickies) followed by Ninja Nite at TKD. I've worked out a sweet deal wherein I "work" Ninja Nite; in exchange, my kids are free. Once the movie starts, I can clear out and get a bite to eat myself, unless I want pizza. Speaking of, what am I going to bring for Ted to eat? Oy. Sunday School starts up again, at 9am this semester. I'm singing with the Greeks, so Paul will pick him up, and his buddy Jack. I'll drive them both to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science for Alex's 7th birthday party. 7! These kids are turning seven! Lordy.

One more point to make, because it's really funny. And painful. This is a random way to fall into an exercise program, but Crunchy Chicken, or was it the Crockpot Lady?... one of them anyway, mentioned the 30 Day Shred, an exercise program by the woman in charge of The Biggest Loser TV show. Since we don't have TV, I don't know that I've ever seen the show, but I know what it is. And suddenly, since reading that post, the 30 Day Shred is popping up all over the blogosphere. So I thought I'd try it. It arrived yesterday but I was sick as a dog. Amber fixed me up with homeopathic remedies and I feel about 90% today ... amazing. So I did the Level 1 workout today. It was hard. Totally do-able, but I am NOT moving up to Level 2 until it feels easier. My 5 pound hand weights might be too heavy for my wimpy self. Wish I had some 2 or 3 pounders. Oh well. Seriously though, I will be curious to see my level of "toning" after 30 days. Paul has agreed to do it with me at night (we usually do situps, pushups, curls and the plank while watching Star Trek at night...are we living large or what?) This program plus my mellow running or walking with Ole will make for a nice winter program, I think.

*update* Paul found the abs sections hard and I found the arms sections hard. Interesting. Is that a male/female thing, I wonder? 

No comments: