Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Adventures in NY

I made it to NY in spite of sketchy bus schedules and nearly missed buses. But I made it! It was a great flight with The Time Traveler's Wife as the movie. I sat next to a mezzo who teaches at CU and sings with Opera Colorado with Erin, so that made for pleasant conversation.

Once in NY I took the M60 bus to Broadway/110th. It was an interesting ride through Harlem. I was pleased that I remembered how to get to the apartment once I was on Broadway. (The last time I was here, in 2001, I was a few weeks pregnant with Ted and didn't know it yet.) I arrived and the doorman gave me the note with the key (and a very large box from Jayne, mostly full with peanuts as well as some picture-hanging doodads.) I did some knitting, read a little and made myself at home with Mini, Maxine and Artie. She came home around 5:30 and we caught up, went to the LAST Thai dinner before chemo (!! hooray!!) and came home to chat some more. We both went to bed at 9:30, which is 7:30 in CO, but I still managed to be ready for it. Amazing.

The night was interesting. She has a bit of a cold and coughed on and off all night. Between that and Artie, I woke up a lot. But while I full expect and am ready to be "on duty" this evening, last night I had the distinct feeling of not being "in charge" of anyone. And it was as if a huge boulder was removed from my shoulders. Interesting. Tonight will be different; I'll be on - and I'm glad to know I sleep lightly enough to serve well!

No comments: