Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dark Days Challenge has begun!

It's November 15, which means the start of the winter challenge this year. This is our 3rd year of participating. The first year was fantastic - I was really on the ball. Last year I managed to prepare about 60% of our food from our CSA and stores. I am motivated again this year, since I am in the groove now and have been preparing. We've been feasting on CSA beans, greens & veggies for a few months now.

So, on to our very first meal! It was a simple one, and perfect for our snowy weather today: chili. I My exemptions are Italian seasoning and 1 can of tomato paste. The local CSA ingredients in this yummy chili are: chickpeas, red beans, yellow onion, garlic, (homemade!) veggie stock, and 2 jalapenos (from our hatch chilis). It's bubbling away in the crockpot right now, blending with the smells of more local roasted potatoes, beets & garlic. We devoured the potatoes and garlic at lunch but will enjoy the roasted beets with some sauteed CSA tut soi alongside our chili. Mmm...

No comments: