Sunday, February 27, 2011

success!

Last night, I heated a half gallon of organic 1% milk to a boil, cooled it to 110 degrees, added 1/4 cup dry milk powder, 1 cup starter yogurt (I used my plain Greek yogurt) and set the 3 mason jars to rest overnight (I used the method my absolute favorite blogger of all time uses). This morning it had set up beautifully (The kids and I were so excited!) and I put it in the fridge to chill. Tonight we mixed in fruit (just blended frozen berries) and the kids added honey to his taste. They all liked it, but Ted really loved it and asked me to make some for snack this week (it's his week to bring snack), which is the ultimate compliment. Hooray hooray! It was so easy and it worked! Next time I'm going to do a full gallon rather than half a gallon, since they go through about a quart in one sitting.

Next up on my list: homemade bagels! They don't sound too hard, just a bit cumbersome with the boil then bake method. Still, I'll give it a try!

1 comment:

patricia said...

Wow! Real home-made yogurt! Now if you can locate a yak and use its milk, you'll be terribly authentic! This summer, try it with peaches, too!

Mom