Monday, November 6, 2006

15 Month Check Up

Mae had her checkup this morning and WOW! did she pass with flying colors. Here are her stats, because they are too funny not to post first:

Height: 31 3/4 ....100%
Weight: 24 ....75%
Head: 18 1/4 ....48%

100%?! What the heck? Ted was 31 inches tall at his TWO YEAR checkup. Sam had him beat at 35 inches tall at age 2, but still! I guess she's going to be taller than we thought. She has gained 2 pounds in the 3 months since her 12m check, so that is normal. How funny. She had 4 shots today which was sad (one was her Flu #1) so we skipped Tumbling and Bestemor in favor of a nap. Poor thing. I have NEVER had to hold any of my children during the shots before-Paul has always done it. I was terrible! I'm sure I contributed to the stress! She was so funny - screamed blue murder at the shots (one of them was Tetnus-OW!), recovered fairly quickly and I got her dressed. She WALKED out of the office, with an obvious LIMP, but refused to let me pick her up. I think she holds a grudge! Luckily I was able to win her affection back with a cookie at Starbucks. In reading over all the info they give you for 15 months, it is so clear how on track she is. Little things like "may HELP to pull of shoes and socks"..ha! I can't keep either on her for 2 minutes! I no longer bother putting them on her and just do it when we are at our destination. Otherwise, they are lost in the van for good. Another is "Your baby MAY be starting to use a spoon to feed herself." Mae's been a pro at that for months now. Then there is the reminder...time to wean off the bottle. And again, I pause. Because whose advice to I take? It is really hard for me to discern between 'adoption advice' and 'AP parenting advice.' Most of the people who work at CCAI favor a VERY AP approach (co-sleeping, bottle til they give it up, always responding to a cry at night) and I understand the point-these kids NEED to know Mommy will ALWAYS be there. I understand. But...
So, for the moment, we will keep the bottle. Until the 18m visit when I'm again questioning. All in all, Mae is doing great. The last 2 nights of sleep have been bad again, darn it! 10 days of perfection are hard to keep up. Hopefully it will all settle down. At least it is better than it was...that's all we can ask!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mae, what great stats! And how funny about the socks and shoes. Thank goodness for tights and roobiez! I am glad she is doing so well.

Starbucks cookies always make me feel better. I hope the shot effects ware off soon.

Anonymous said...

Awww poor Mae. I hate vaccine appts. when Fraser can't be there. Don't blame her for the grudge - those things HURT, can only imagine what one in the leg would be like. Her stats sound great!

I so LOVE hearing about Mae. Once again your kids remind me so much of mine. I so hope one day we can all get together. ~Tracey