Wednesday, January 14, 2009

back to the restrictions

The results of Ted's stool tests are in. His IgC levels for gluten, dairy, egg whites and pineapple were very high. Now, this is not an anaphylactic allergy (that's reserved for the shrimp), rather, these tests show that his stomach can't properly digest these foods. Ted has been complaining of a mild stomachache for as long as I can remember. We've gone GF before, and it's a struggle for him, because he loves bread and bagels. We are going to go the cracker route this time, and try (bribe?) to get him to eat grains like rice and quinoa etc. 
Dairy is easy; been there, done that. 
Eggs are also easy. He won't eat them straight but they are in everything I prepare (muffins, breads, pancakes etc.) so I'll just go back to my egg substitutes that I've used in the past. 
Pineapple is interesting. Apparently it's a very high allergy food. Who knew?! Ted loves pineapple, so in the summer I'll be careful to not have it in the house so he can enjoy it when he's out and about with friends. 
The gluten is the real bummer. I am, of course, so lucky and relieved that it isn't an actual allergy, but rather an intolerance. 
Back to the drawing board.

And Sam had a fall on Tuesday. He fell backwards into an almost-empty hot tub at swim class. Being a kid (i.e., a rubber band) he was unharmed. I have to forcibly stop myself from playing the "what if?" game, because it's too scary. We did keep him home from school today to watch him, but he was fine. Oy. 

Today I met with 2 therapists, one for Ted and one for Mae. Geesh. I'll blog more about those sessions tomorrow because they were both excellent. I have some great tools for Ted and am feeling hopeful about my improved interactions with Mae (caustic Mae, that is. I get along just fine with nice Mae.) ;-) 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

So, how did this allergy show up in the stool test and not the blood test? Makes me wonder if we should go that route too...

Bummer about the gluten though.