Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dark Days Challenge Completed...this year

Well, March 31 has come and gone. The Dark Days Challenge is officially over, and fittingly, since the Farmer's Market starts up this Saturday. This was a really tough challenge ... mostly because it required advance planning, not my strong suit. But, I persevered. Throughout the Fall season, I put away meals as quickly as I prepared them. We feasted all winter on soups, stews and slow cooker meals from the deep freeze. My goal is to get through the remaining 11 (eleven!!) meals still left in the freezer before May, when the produce really starts rolling in. Our CSA will start up soon, and I've increased to a full share this year. I learned the hard way that putting up greens is just as essential as freezing those luscious berries. As my boys pined for strawberries, I missed my local kale, swiss chard and spinach. This year, thanks to the Dark Days Challenge, I will do more to keep us in berries and greens all winter. This was such a wonderful challenge. And life changing too.

Our meals for the past two weeks have included Spaghetti with Homemade Pesto, Baked Potatoes with Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy, Sloppy Lentil Stew, Lentil Buttercup Soup, Aloo Gobi and Slow Cooker Vindaloo. Mmm. This week we're finishing up the Pumpkin Black Bean Soup, Carrot Soup and Chickpea Turnip Stew. I figure 3 freezer meals a week are good. Really, these late winter meals have been easier than any other season, because they're ready to go!

No comments: